At my last metalsmithing workshop I learned to make a brass container. For much of the class I felt like all I'd achieved was making what looked like a piece of copper pipe because the copper in the metal rose to the surface during the process and the patina made the surface look very rough.
Once I got to the finishing stage I filed the surface to remove the patina and found that I liked the marks that the file made.
I got a different texture on the lid because it's flat and not curved so the file acted differently.
I like the imperfections, including the visible silver solder where I joined the shaped sheet metal into a tube.
It's a simple object but I'm very pleased with all the things I learned in making it. And I have so much more to learn...